Year of Food and Drink Scotland 2015
Master Chef, Gordon Gunn - Creagan House
April’s recipe is by Gordon Gunn, chef proprietor of Creagan House, Strathyre. Gordon and his wife Cherry have created a 5 star award winning Restaurant with Rooms which is situated within glorious highland scenery.
Gordon trained at Napier College in Edinburgh before going to work in various hotels and restaurants including Turnberry Hotel in Ayrshire. Having gained experience in most sections of the kitchen, he was appointed Head Chef at a luxury hotel in North Devon, where he gained the first AA Rosette awarded in the region, and was responsible for making it the destination restaurant of choice in the area.
The dream was always to return to Scotland and after working with Harry Hilditch at Ledcreich in Balquhidder, now Dhanakhosa, Creagan was purchased in 1986. Working entirely on his own in the kitchen, creating modern twists on classical dishes he has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for the past 15 years and a 4 in the Good Food Guide.
Try Gordon's crab cake recipe or book a table at Creagan House and experence the Master Chef's version.
Crab Cakes With Avocado Salsa
- 225g fresh white crab meat
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- finely grated fresh ginger to taste
- 1 finely chopped small mild red chilli
- 1 tbspn chopped spring onion
- 2 tbspn chopped coriander leaves
- Plain flour
- 1 egg beated with a little milk
- panko breadcrumbs
Combine the crab, egg yolk, ginger, chilli and coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Divide into 8 portions and mould into a cake. Lay out on a tray and freeze for 30 mins.
Prepare 3 bowls – seasoned flour – egg wash – breadcrumbs. Working quickly coat each cake. Refrigerate until required.
- Salsa ingredients:
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- spring onions
- 2 tbspn coriander leaves
- 1 small red chilli
- I clove garlic
- 1 tbspn lime juice
- 3 tbspn olive oil
- garlic salt and black pepper
- Chop all ingredients. Combine half the tomatoes with avocado and spring onion in a bowl.
- Purée the other half of the tomatoes, garlic, coriander, chilli and lime juice in a blender. Slowly add the oil. Pour onto mixture, season and mix well. Infuse for 30 minutes.
Heat a little olive oil and butter in a frying pan and gently fry the crab cakes for 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
Serve with the salsa and garnish with garden leaves tossed in olive oil and lemon juice.
Restaurant & Food Quality Awards & Accolades:
- VisitScotland Taste our Best * (one of the first restaurants in Scotland to be awarded for using over 40% locally sourced ingredients)
- VisitScotland 5 star Gold award Restaurant with Rooms
- A.A. 2 Rosettes and Breakfast Award
- 5 star Gold award Restaurant with Rooms
- Inspectors Choice
- Good Food Guide awarded 4
- Good Hotel Guide
- Michelin Guide
- Scotland the Best
Creagan House Restaurant with Rooms, Strathyre, Perthshire, FK18 8ND
* "Taste Our Best" quality assurance scheme is run by Scotland's national tourism organisation Visit Scotland to encourage fresh, quality, locally sourced ingredients on the menu. "ensures that you will eat quality ingredients of Scottish provenance and the freshest seasonal produce. Taste Our Best establishments strive for sustainability, sourcing food locally to ensure they keep food miles to a minimum. You’ll know where your food has come from, in fact at least 40% of the Scottish produce will be highlighted on your menu." - See more at: http://www.visitscotland.com/about/food-drink/taste-our-best#sthash.tUpwrxNH.dpuf
- April Veg? According to the BBC Food guide, April seasonal veg includes; cabbage, cauliflower, celeriac, new potatoes, pak choi, purple sprouting broccoli, spring greens and see what else http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/seasonal-calendar/20041
- Compare with Scotland Food and Drinks seasonality calender: http://www.scotlandfoodanddrink.org/showcase/seasonality-calendar/april
- Visit Scotland foodie trail http://www.visitscotland.com/ebrochures/en/foodie-trails
- Whats On Locally in April. Check our events calendar. http://robroycountry.com/local-events.html Don't miss Swedish vocal quartet Kongero, Balquhuidder Kirk, 18th April, 7pm, £10 and £7 concession.