St Angus's Episcopal Church, Lochearnhead
St Angus's Episcopal Church, Lochearnhead – was built in 1888 with contributions by three local families, the Carnegies of Stronvar of Balquhidder, the MacGregors of Edinchip by Lochearnhead and the Stewart family of Ardvorlich on Loch Earn. The building was consecrated by the Bishop of St Andrews in 1894 as a chapel of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
It is often referred locally as the “Grouse Church” as it initially served grouse shooting visitors to the three estates and was probably only used from August to Christmas each year. Generally congregations were small in number. A proposed closure in the 1980's was halted through the insistence of the local congregation, particularly as the Church of Scotland had closed its Lochearnhead church which is now a private dwelling.
St Angus's is a beautiful building, listed by Historic Scotland for its uniqueness, and recently has been fully restored to its original condition with a new roof and other works and this was made possible by the generosity of the local people of Lochearnhead, Balquhidder and Strathyre. The church is capable of housing about 60 people so a congregation of 20 is a crowd!! The altar is backed by a Reredos which was likely to have been crafted locally and features St Angus, St Blane, St Ninian, St Columba and the Annunciation. It was donated in 1909 by somebody connected with Edinample Castle at a sad time and there is a plaque screwed to the rear to that effect. The altar rail was a bequest of Cartherine Bain who died at Edinchip in 1906. A “Kneelers Group” made up from the congregation has completed kneelers and seat pads throughout the church and this adds some lovely colours to the interior.
The church is part of the Strathearn* group of Episcopal Churches and is linked to St Serf's in Comrie* and St Columba's in Crieff* and the Reverend Paddy Allen is the minister. Whilst St Angus's Church remains the home of the local Scottish Episcopal Church it welcomes visitors of any Christian denomination. For people seeking Church of Scotland services the parish church is located in Balquhidder which is also linked to Killin being served by the same minister, the Reverend John Lincoln.
St Angus's Church in Lochearnhead has an enthusiastic congregation who try to reach out to the community. Many events are held not only in the church but also outside and these include a Christmas Carol event in the village hall, a Quiz Night in the Lochearnhead Water Sports Centre and usually raise money which is donated to good national and local causes. Other events are held at various times with good local support to raise funds to help to keep this little gem going. For the last three years there has been a loch side service at the Lochearnhead Water Sports Centre on Easter Sunday with about 40 people in attendance followed by breakfast. The congregation is usually distracted by ospreys that can be seen hunting for their own fishy breakfast in loch Earn.
During Lent the minister, Reverend Paddy Allen leads a Bible Study Group and recently a “Homegroup” has been formed which meets in members' homes and this is proving popular particularly as it begins with puddings and coffee.
For access to the church outside service times or for any other information please contact the people below and you are very welcome to worship at any of our services at the times listed below.
- 1st and 3rd – HOLY EUCHARIST – 11.15am
- 2nd and 4th – EVENSONG – 6.00pm
- 5th – HOLY EUCHARIST – 6.00pm
Normally Morning Prayer and Eucharist at 10.00am
- Secretary – Mary Barclay – 01567 830453
- Treasurer – Lawrence Hopkins – 01567 830238
OFFICE OF SCOTTISH CHARITY REGULATOR NUMBER SC 009327