YEAR OF FOOD AND DRINK SCOTLAND 2015
Tempura King Prawn on Shrimp and IPA Risotto - with a medley of Tempura Vegetables and Sweet Chilli Dipping sauce
by Alistair and Alida Buchan, The Golden Larches restaurant with rooms, Balquhidder Station
Shrimp and IPA Risotto
1 x finely chopped onion
2 x cloves of garlic
360g / 12 oz Arborio
1pint of hot / simmering chicken stock
330ml Deuchars IPA or Black Wolf ROK IPA or Arran Brewery Dug IPA (room temp) Note: can be substituted with white wine
120g / 4oz cooked shrimp
Freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly chopped parsley
90g / 3oz Butter
- In a heavy based saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in half of the butter until translucent. Cook over a low heat to prevent colouring the onions.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice is shiny and well coated. Add 2 tbsp IPA and let it reduce.
- Add the remaining IPA to the simmering stock and then add a ladleful into the pot and stir. Do not continue to heat the IPA stock.
- Continue the addition of the IPA stock until it forms a creamy moist texture
- Stir in the cooked shrimp and warm through.
- When ready, remove from the heat and add the remaining butter, parsley and Parmesan.
3 x fresh King Prawn per person (12 used in this meal)
1 small Sweet potato
4 Button or 4 Small Closed Cap Mushrooms
½ x Courgette
For the Tempura Batter
2 x egg yolks
350ml / 12floz iced Deuchars IPA or Black Wolf ROK IPA or Arran Brewery Dug IPA (You can use iced water here instead of IPA)
1 level teaspoon Cornflour
175g / 6oz self raising flour
For the dipping sauce
8 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
4 tablespoons of caster sugar
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
2 teaspoons of grated ginger
½ teaspoon of finely diced deseeded red chilli pepper
King Prawn and Vegetable preparation.
- Peel and de-vein the King prawns. Remove the head and pull out the black vein onside the prawn. Leave the tail on so that the prawn can be picked up.
- Wash, peel and angle slice the Sweet potato into 3~5mm slices
- Wash, peel and angle slice the courgette into 5~8mm slices
- Wash the mushrooms.
To make tempura batter
- Whisk the egg yolks and iced Deuchars IPA or Black Wolf ROK IPA or Arran Brewery Dug IPA together
- Add the self raising flour and cornflour
The batter does not need to be perfectly smooth and should be used within 30 mins of making
To cook the tempura
- Heat up a deep fat fryer to 170C / 325F. Alternatively use wok with hot oil. Be very careful !!
- Place the vegetables in the tempura batter. Lift them out and shake off any excess batter. Carefully place them into hot oil. Do not try to cook more than 4 or 5 pieces in one batch.
- Cook until light golden and crisp on both sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the fryer and place the cooked tempura on some kitchen paper. Then put them on a plate. Until all batches are complete.
- Cook the battered King prawns once all the vegetables are complete. Place on top of the risotto and arrange vegetables around the base of the risotto.
Romantic Reminders & Food For Thought
Valentine Tour Book a romantic tour for your loved one. Choose a set private tour by Highland Glen Travel or contact owners Helen and George Cunningham to discuss a bespoke tour, encorporating, e.g. lochs, glens, mountains, forests, waterfalls, wildlife, distilleries and castles.
Valentine Gifts: Pop into SULA furnishing for an authentic Scottish wool or Harris Tweed gift and experience the work of local cottage industry; craft workers, artists, jewellers, wood turners, photographers, quilters, candle makers and authors.
Valentine Cards? In the area and forgot to buy a Valentine card? Panic not... The Strathyre village shop and post office, Main Street, A84, Strathyre.has a selection of cards for all occasions.
Tea and Cake to Champagne AfternoonTeas: Pop into The Golden Larches or MHOR84 Balquhidder, for delicious home baked cakes with tea or coffee. Contact MHOR Bread to have a cake baked to your specification. Or, what about a special afternoon cream tea at The Four Seasons Hotel St Fillans with views over Loch Earn. Add a couple of glasses or a bottle of champagne to your Monachyle Mhor afternoon tea and enjoy the views to the hills and Loch Doine in Balquhidder.
Valentines Day Mr & Mrs Game. Based on the popular TV show - which local couples will be brave enough to test their marriage live on stage? Sandison Hall event in St Fillans -14th February -7.30pm
Hand Made Chocolate, Fudge + Sweeties? We are surrounded by confectionary specialists in all directions within easy day trips from LETI accommodation and robroycounry. You will find hand made chocolate specialists e.g.Stirlings I Q Chocolate, Cocoa Mountain - Achterarder, Ian Burnett The Highland Chocolatier - Grandtully, Charlotte Flower Chocolate - Aberfeldy, Oban Chocolate Company - Oban. Also, hand made confectionary specialists Gordon and Durward of Crieff. Or what about a chocolate making day course ? Only 1 hour and 10 minutes drive away at Abernethy, near Perth. You can also order your Made In Scotland chocolates and sweeties on-line and have them delivered to your accommodation.