BLiSS Future Legacy 2019
LETi is delighted to be working with the children of Anna Be All You Can Be in conjunction with teachers, assistants and headmistress Bernadette McDonald.
LETi believes that it is important to introduce the concept and benefits of tourism and related businesses in the community.to children from primary school age. It is hoped that some children will remain in the community to work in the tourism industry full time, part time or as vclunteers whether in business, retail, accommodation, hospitality, events, transport or in our tourism group. We hope to change the mindset of "having" to go to a city to contribute to the workplace.. .
It is hoped that those who leave for further education or to work elsehere in the UK and abroad, will have an understanding of tourism skills and how tourism helps to drive the local economy. It is hoped that they will become ambassadors for the BLS area regardless of where they end up living and working..
LETi has committed to a Partnership with Strathyre Primary School, working with the children on aspects of their Curriculam Map over a three year period. Relevant key themes include
- Mathematics life skills linked to business e.g. profit and loss activities, budgeting
- Working within a team – qualities and attributes
- Market research and designing feasible ideas for a business
Functions of businesses in the local area and skills required to work within them
Farm to Fork / Working within the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park / Social Studies:
- Skills and roles related to local jobs, importance of work experience and qualifications
LETi members attended a business fair in April 2019, where children of all ages interviewed a varierty of tourism business members in turn. The pupils discussed and prepared a number of questions and wrote down LETi members answers to further discuss with teachers .
In attrendance for LETi were
- Andrea Hudspeth - Aquila Ecology - St Fillans. wildlife and flora educational walks and bat surveys.
- Kim Proven -Briar Cottages self catering cottages Lochearnhead and Chair of Loch Earn Tourism Information
- Alan Sneddon - Hidden Glen Safaris Landrover tours Balquhidder + deer management at Monachyle Mhor (farm to fork)
- Matthew Duncan and Diane Watsojn Lochearn House B&B, Lochearnhead - also trained chef and award winning quilter
- Matthew Cooper, Coooer Cottages - Holiday Cottage Mnagement Services
- Pauline and Tom Rangers at Strathyre Forest Cabins - holiday cabins, cafe, outdoor education, wildlife, survival, bike hire
- Leslet Lindsay- Award winning Broch Cafe Strathyre - running a cafe, baking, hospitality, customer service,
- Graeme Courtney - Kingshouse Travel and transport owner- local taxi, ,school bus, airport, coach and mini bus hire service
The next phase of our partnership will be to present individual tourism business subjects in class, or for pupils to request visits to tourism establishments to experience and learn on site -For example, working in a hotel, managing a golf club, marketing and running a holiday cottage business, earning a living through wildlife tourism - in keeping with the key themes on the curriculum map.
We look forward to sharing with and learning from the tourism influencers of our future.
Enterprise: LETi members are pleased to attend coffee mornings actioned by the pupils once a month. Pupils experience and practice communication with guests, order taking and customer service. With this level of confidence they may benefit from a morning in one of our local cafes or hotels communicating with and serving the public.
- Creative Writing: Midnight Meadows by 9 yearl Old Iona Clark from St Fillans
- Art and Adventure: Ruby Ruby Ruby Adventures of Strathyre Primary pupil Ruby Skye Douglas
- Sports for Health: Mini Stuc' 2018 - Annual race featuring 1km club primary school children from rural Stirling schools that surround Strathyre Primary School
- Robotics Technology - EEP Tomorrows Engineers - Matthews logical mind helps the team of 4 win the UK trophy
- Storytelling - School Girls Tell BLiSS stories on the new GPS enabled Geotourist world tour app -available to download on a smart phone
- Outdoor adventure -Kays Winter Wonderland in Glen Ogle - The great outdoors are good for the body, mind and soul.
- Golf heroine - Eva, A Young Golfer With Drive - inspiring young lady golfers
- Careers and hobbies -Anna, Be All You Can Be -experience, learn, question and enjoy life and learning